Household Dangers That Are Harmful to Your Puppy

PupCorner.com-8. Household Dangers That Are Harmful To Your Puppy

Puppies have a tendency of trying to eat just about everything they come across.  In some cases, this causes you more harm than your puppy.   However, sometimes your puppy may get into things that he shouldn’t.  Below we have compiled a list of some of the household dangers that are harmful to your puppy.  These are things, however, that can be dangerous enough to cause death to your puppy if he eats them. 

Harmful Household Products

1) Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your puppy and is very appealing to him.

2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine which is toxic to puppies. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is especially dangerous.

3) Bleach: As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to puppies. Keep all products containing bleach out of your puppy’s reach.

4) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small puppy.

5) Watch Batteries: If your puppy ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to puppies as well.

6) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to puppies. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures.

7) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to puppies at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category.

8) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain Boric Acid which is highly toxic to puppies. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.

9) Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to puppies. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.

10) Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to puppies. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy.

Puppy-proof Your Home

If you think your puppy may have eaten any of these substances or anything else that could poison him, get him to a vet as fast as possible as this could be a matter of life and death.  You have control over what is accessible to your puppy so the best method you can use to protect your puppy from dangerous products is prevention.

Make sure your puppy can not access any harmful products in or near your house.  Also, a young puppy shouldn’t be roaming around free and unattended.  Teach your puppy the meaning of the word “no”, but also keep harmful products of any kind out of your puppy’s reach.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.